Monday, August 21, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Yemeni government agrees to rejoin Kuwait peace talks

President Hadi confirms he will send the government's delegation back to Kuwait talks as requested by the Emir of Qatar.

The Yemeni government has agreed to resume peace talks in Kuwait after Qatari diplomacy succeeded in convincing President Abd-Rabbu Mansur Hadi to get back to the negotiating table.

Yemeni Foreign Minister Abdul-Malik al-Mekhlafi said on Saturday that the Yemeni government will give the peace talks one last chance after receiving regional and international guarantees.

Last Tuesday, the Yemeni government delegation walked out of talks in Kuwait saying rebels insist on violating UN resolutions.

The UN resolution demands rebels to withdraw their troops from areas under their control, including the capital Sanaa, release political prisoners and hand over state institutions to the Hadi government, which was forced out by the rebels.

The decision on Saturday came after President Hadi held talks with Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, and UN secretary General Ban Ki-moon in Doha.

Hadi, who runs the government in exile from Saudi Arabia, participated in a trilateral meeting with Qatar's Emir and the UN chief in the Qatari capital.

"The President of Yemen confirmed that he will send the government’s delegation back to the talks as requested by His Highness the Amir of State of Qatar and the Secretary-General," a statement by the UN chief said. 

"The UN chief has asked his Special Envoy [Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed] to respond to the recent letter received from the government of Yemen," the statement said.

Thanking Qatar for its diplomatic efforts, Ban said he strongly hoped that the peace talks that will shortly resume in Kuwait will lead to concrete results.

Last week, Yemen's government and Houthi rebels agreed to free half of the prisoners and detainees held by either side in the first breakthrough of the peace talks that began on April 21.

The peace talks have been hampered by accusations of ceasefire violations from both the sides.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Saudi Twitter users urged to expose Qatar sympathisers

Read More

Iran: Top priority to protect nuclear deal from US

Read More

Iraq launches offensive to retake Tal Afar from ISIL

Read More

Qatar files complaint with ICAO over Al Arabiya report

Read More

Lebanese army begins offensive against ISIL on border

Read More

Israel kills Palestinian teen after 'stabbing attempt'

Read More

Global_News

Authorities identify driver in Barcelona van attack as 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub as manhunt spreads across Europe.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Sierra Leone mudslides

'Unite the Right' rally