Authorities say the unnamed man was planning to carry out 15 attacks during the European football tournament in France.
Ukraine has detained a Frenchman suspected of planning a series of attacks across France during the forthcoming European 2016 football championship, the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) said.
The man came to Ukraine under the guise of volunteering to fight in the conflict in the country's east and managed to obtain 125kg of TNT, five assault rifles, two anti-tank grenade launchers and ammunition, the SBU said on Monday.
The man planned to blow up bridges and highway infrastructure in various parts of France, as well as a tax collection office, a mosque, a synagogue and public areas to be used for the football championship, the statement said.
The security services said the unidentified man wanted to carry out 15 attacks in total.
"The Frenchman expressed opposition towards his government allowing mass immigration into France, as well as the spread of Islam," the statement said.
Attacks are a major concern for French authorities as they prepare to host the month-long tournament at stadiums in the Paris area and eight other cities from Friday through July 10.
Armed groups have threatened France during the tournament, but authorities have not confirmed specific dangers.
France is deploying 90,000 security forces for the tournament, and French President Francois Hollande said on Sunday night that the threat of attacks will not stop it from being successful.
Three suicide bombers tried to enter the Stade de France, the country's national stadium, in November last year during the Paris attacks. The country has since been under a state of emergency.
Ukrainian authorities released photos of a fair-haired man, with his face blurred, holding various weapons.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny detained in Moscow rally
- James Jackson charged with murdering Timothy Caughman
- UK report: Some Gulenists involved in Turkish coup
- Republicans withdraw healthcare bill in blow to Trump
- Russia denies supplying Taliban after Scaparrotti claim
- London attack: Muslim raises over $30,000 for victims
- French Guiana paralysed by general strike
- Clashes in Paris over police killing of Chinese man
- Ex-Russia MP Denis Voronenkov killed in Ukraine: police
- Ukraine calls depot explosion an act of sabotage
- Macron and Le Pen clash in presidential debate
- Drugs, alcohol in blood of Paris Orly airport attacker
|Liaquat Ali Khan|