Monday, August 21, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Venezuela delays Nicolas Maduro recall referendum

Meeting to decide whether to hold a vote to remove the president cancelled as protesters clash with police in Caracas.

Venezuela's opposition has appealed for calm after electoral authorities cancelled a meeting on whether they could go ahead with efforts to remove President Nicolas Maduro in a referendum.

The National Electoral Board (CNE) had been due to deliver its ruling on whether it accepted or rejected an initial petition with 1.8 million signatures endorsing a recall vote against Maduro.

Maduro's opponents say the country faces an explosion of unrest if authorities do not allow the recall referendum this year.

But just after their meeting with the CNE was due to start on Thursday, Jesus Torrealba, opposition spokesperson, said the electoral authorities had postponed it indefinitely.

"We are going to announce to the nation the steps we will take in the face of this unprecedented situation," Torrealba said.

"We call on the Venezuelan people to remain calm."

Venezuela's economy is forecast to contract 8 percent this year, with inflation of 700 percent.

The economic crisis has made daily life increasingly difficult for Venezuelans, who face hyperinflation, shortages of food and medicine, daily power outages, the near-paralysis of government offices and violent crime.

On Thursday, protesters demanding food made a run for the presidential palace in an apparently spontaneous outburst of anger within the heart of Caracas.

More than 100 people charged down the main thoroughfare in central Caracas chanting: "No more talk. We want food."

Banging pots

The protesters got within about a half dozen blocks of the presidential palace before police in riot gear headed them off and began firing tear gas.

Police pushed the crowd back as some demonstrators kicked their plastic shields while more officers ran to the scene and filled in the streets between the protesters and the palace.

Unlike the organised protests, which draw largely from what's left of Venezuela's middle class and are never allowed by police to reach the president palace, Thursday's disturbance was driven mostly by people from the slums overlooking the central district and who form the core of the socialist government's support.

Speaking from the presidential palace later in the day, Maduro pledged to stop those who he said are trying to destabilise the country, but did not make any direct references to the protest.

"They come at us every day looking for violence in the streets, and each day the people reject and expel them," he said. "We're winning peace on the corners, on the streets, on the avenues and in the slums."

Trading accusations

The opposition accuses electoral authorities of dragging their feet on the referendum process to protect Maduro. Maduro's camp in turn accuses the opposition of massive fraud in its petition drive.

Even if the CNE eventually accepts the petition submitted on May 2, Maduro's opponents would face a long road to call a referendum.

And they may not get there by the crucial date of January 10 - four years into the leftist leader's six-year term - at which point a successful recall vote would no longer prompt new elections but simply pass power to Maduro's vice president.

For the petition to be accepted, the CNE must recognise at least 200,000 signatures as valid.

Signatories would then have to present themselves in person to confirm their identity with a fingerprint scan.

The opposition would then have to submit a second petition, this time with four million signatures, or 20 percent of the electorate, for the CNE to organise a referendum.

The pro-recall camp would need more votes than the 7.5 million Maduro won in the 2013 election to remove him from office.

The CNE could easily stall the process until next year, when Maduro's United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) could orchestrate his replacement by another party leader.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

US comedy icon Jerry Lewis dies at 91

Read More

Dick Gregory, civil rights activist and comedian, dies

Read More

Researchers find wreckage of WWII-era USS Indianapolis

Read More

Venezuela 'congress in resistance' rejects new assembly

Read More

Luisa Ortega 'fearing for her life' flees to Colombia

Read More

Cautious welcome online for Steve Bannon's exit

Read More

Global_News

Authorities identify driver in Barcelona van attack as 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub as manhunt spreads across Europe.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Sierra Leone mudslides

'Unite the Right' rally