Wednesday, December 13, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Donald Trump calls for halt on Muslims entering the US

Leading Republican presidential hopeful cites "extraordinary influx of hatred" in statement that is swiftly condemned.

Donald Trump

Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump on Monday called for a "total and complete" block on Muslims entering the United States.

A statement from Trump's campaign team said the halt on Muslims entering the country should remain in place "until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on."

The statement does not specify if the proposal would affect both tourists and immigrants.

Trump's campaign cites poll data allegedly showing "hatred toward Americans by large segments of the Muslim population."

"Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine," the billionaire real estate mogul, who is leading in opinion polls among likely Republican voters, said in the statement.

"Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life."

Trump has been increasingly virulent in his remarks targeting Muslim Americans since the deadly Paris attacks, and again in the wake of last week's shooting attack in California, which was carried out by a Muslim and couple, leaving 14 dead and 21 wounded.

"Just put out a very important policy statement on the extraordinary influx of hatred & danger coming into our country. We must be vigilant!" Trump tweeted after the statement was released.

His announcement unleashed quick condemnation on Twitter.

"@realdonaldtrump removes all doubt: he is running for President as a fascist demagogue," Democratic presidential contender Martin O'Malley said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations group said: "We're entering into the realm of the fascist now."


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Lawmakers seek probe into alleged T...

Read More

Alabama to vote in high stakes Sena...

Read More

Trump wants tightened immigration l...

Read More

Women demand probe into alleged Tru...

Read More

NYC Port Authority bombing 'an atte...

Read More

Nicolas Maduro bars opposition from...

Read More

Global_News

Congress approves Duterte's request to prolong military rule until end of 2018 in Mindanao region.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

From snowfall to sunshine

Palestinians hold 'day of rage'