Attack kills 30 soldiers from Niger and two from Nigeria on countries' border near city of Bossa, Niger officials say.
Thirty soldiers from Niger and two Nigerian troops were killed in a Boko Haram attack on Niger's border with Nigeria, Niger's defence ministry said.
"On Friday, hundreds of assailants of Boko Haram attacked" the position of the army of Bosso, the ministry said in a statement on Saturday.
"The counter-offensive conducted early this morning helped to retake control of all the positions in the city of Bosso. The situation is under control", it added.
Since February 2015, Niger has been plagued by Boko Haram attacks in its southeast region.
The armed group frequently stages cross-border raids from their stronghold in neighbouring Nigeria.
The war between Boko Haram and the Nigerian government has left at least 20,000 people dead in six years and made more than 2.6 million homeless.
The Lake Chad region - which borders Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon and Niger - has been frequently targeted by Boko Haram and all four countries have formed a coalition along with Benin to fight the group.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny detained in Moscow rally
- James Jackson charged with murdering Timothy Caughman
- UK report: Some Gulenists involved in Turkish coup
- Republicans withdraw healthcare bill in blow to Trump
- Russia denies supplying Taliban after Scaparrotti claim
- London attack: Muslim raises over $30,000 for victims
- Five men arrested in India over attacks on Africans
- Burkina Faso-Nigeria friendly cancelled over UK visas
- Multiple bomb blasts rock Nigeria's Maiduguri
- Police: Nigeria market attack kills women, children
- Police displace thousands in Nigeria's Otodo-Gbame slum
- Female teenage suicide bombers kill 2, wound 16
|Liaquat Ali Khan|